Senior Estimator will be responsible for assisting the preconstruction department in all phases as needed. Must be self-motivated, dependable, and adaptable within the role which will provide a multitude of learning opportunities for the right candidate.
- Position Type: Full Time
- Travel Required: 5%
- Department: Preconstruction
- Reports to: Director of Preconstruction
- Adhering to and upholding NDBS Core Values: Safety, we answer our phone, Always Innovating, Collaborative Partnerships, Reputation, and entrepreneurship.
- Determine/develop construction standards as they are defined by bid documents and create job specific construction standards for the estimating system.
- Handle day-to-day duties of this role including reviewing, and understanding project drawings, and job specifications.
- Obtain detailed understanding of scope of work for bid documents
- Fills in design gaps for incomplete documents for the completion of estimates. Ensures estimating department has most current design information in the preparation of estimates.
- Creating detailed HVAC and piping sales estimates utilizing on-screen estimating software and considering project phasing, project schedules, project risk, and site-specific safety requirements.
- Creating detailed HVAC and piping estimates for in-house rebids and buyout estimates
- Peer review of permit drawings and providing feedback to Engineer for corrections or alternative layouts that would save project cost.
- Continually look for new materials and methods that could save construction cost
- Responsible for soliciting vendor quotes.
- Responsible for soliciting subcontractor proposals
- Communication with Manufactures Representatives concerning equipment and the related cost and availability
- Attend Sales to Engineering turnover meetings as needed.
- Attend Engineering to Construction turnover meeting as needed.
- Addend Project Meetings as needed.
- Provide support for Project Mangers in the creation of estimates for Potential Change Orders.
- Perform site audits with Engineering and Construction Teams to review construction materials, means and methods and quality of subcontractor installation to insure they are meeting our project specifications and design requirements.
- Assist Preconstruction department in various tasks as needed.
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Architecture or Engineering, and/or 3+ Years of applicable estimating, design management and/or field management experience.
- Project management experience a plus but not required.
- A knowledge of HVAC and piping systems, building products, construction details/design and relevant rules, regulations, and quality standards.
- Self-motivated with excellent time and task management skills.
- Ability to communicate well with others both written and orally.
- The ability to work within an environment with deadlines while having to multi-task with changing priorities.
- The ability to “fill in the gaps” in the bidding documents to ensure a complete estimate is produced.
- Quotesoft or Auto Bid experience for both piping and sheetmetal or other estimating software.
- Proficient with Micorsoft Office programs.
- The ability to interact with spreadsheets such as Excel at a moderate level (input, data manipulation, basic programming).
- OSHA 10 certification is a plus and will be required upon hiring.
NDBS is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.